Do you have a community education project that you have been wanting to develop? Have you been thinking of new ways to recruit and retain volunteers? Has creating better volunteer engagement practices been a part of your plan but you could use a helping hand? By partnering with MAVA to host an AmeriCorps VISTA project and a full-time VISTA member, your organization can develop, expand, or improve volunteer engagement that delivers anti-poverty services in Minnesota communities.
Want to learn more about the MAVA VISTA Program? Contact Maureen Bourgeois, MAVA's VISTA Program and Personnel Manager, or join an upcoming Info Session.
What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
What do VISTA members do?
- AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national community service program sponsored by the federal government.
- Members receive a modest living allowance in exchange for a year of service in low-income communities.
- MAVA VISTAs serve full-time for one year across the state to develop, expand, or improve volunteer engagement that connects Minnesotans to the resources needed to move out of poverty in the areas of economic opportunity, education, and healthy futures
- Learn more: NationalService.gov/vista.
- MAVA VISTA members build volunteer infrastructure by developing or improving new partnerships, processes, and resources for inclusive, effective volunteer engagement.
Members don’t replace a staff position or perform ongoing volunteer management functions. MAVA only assigns VISTAs to organizations that have a volunteer resources staff position in place
Your site provides member support, supervision, and a welcoming environment.
Is my organization eligible?
Yes, if your organization:
How do we apply?
- Is a private nonprofit or public agency that serves Minnesota communities experiencing poverty
- Needs a VISTA member to complete a three-year capacity-building project to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of your volunteer engagement
- Will provide consistent on-site supervision and support to a VISTA member year-round
- Can contribute a portion of the cost to support the VISTA member ($6,000-$23,000, depending on your organization or department budget)
- Isn't currently participating in a Service Enterprise training cohort
Applications are accepted year-round. Main recruitment periods happen in November-January.